- Soak the banana stem in water for an hour to soften it.
- Blend it in the blender.
- Using a very fine mesh sieve, separate the fibers from the juice.
- You will get a pale, slightly yellowish juice. Squeeze in the juice of lime.
- Add sugar and a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Serve chilled on a summer day.
There are various important nutrients present in the banana stem. To get an appropriate idea of the nutritional value of banana stem, the following facts can be highlighted:
- All the parts of a banana are edible. In tropical countries like India and Thailand, not only the fruit but the stem and flower are also eaten.
- The banana stem is botanically not a stem but a flower stalk. This stalk grows thick enough to support the entire banana plant. While the outer layers are discarded, the inside of this stalk forms a fibrous and edible food item. It has a crisp texture and mild taste, often used in savory curries or as fried snacks.
Weight loss works on the very fundamental equation of using up or burning more number of calories than you take. Naturally, what you eat makes a large difference to this, and so does exercise.
- Banana stem fibers are that part of the banana tree that your system cannot digest. It contains the type of fiber that helps in eliminating fat, as opposed to the type of fiber that lowers cholesterol.
- Fibers in banana stem juice make sure that the sugar and fats stored in cells are released very slowly into your bloodstream. This ensures you get a steady rate of energy supply. If you exercise, this steady energy supply will keep you rejuvenated for a long time and also aid in weight loss.
- As banana stem juice is low in calories, you can take plenty of it without consuming excess calories.
- The recommended daily amount of fiber is 25 grams, but if you consume 20 to 40 grams of fiber a day, you will be able to lose weight more easily.