Poongar rice is one among the traditional rices that can grow with less water and is flood tolerant too. Its suitable for rice, idly and dosa. It tastes good for porridges.
This rice is compared to Kattu Yanam rice- a medicinal rice most advised for people with diabetes. An ideal Neeragaram- prepared using previous night’s rice; can keep one going the whole day. Even its husk is very nutritious and tasty.Hand Pounding retains the essential nutrients and minerals.
- Kanji made from this rice is ideal for pregnant mothers.
- Improves overall body strength & immunity.
- A good source of zinc and iron more than other coloured rice grains.
- anthrocyanins are the colour pigments contain anti-oxidants.
- Contains pro-anthocyanidins.This compound reduce highg cholestrol and hyper glycemia in type- 1 and type -2 diabetes.
- Consuming red rice may help lower cholestrol.too much cholestrol in our blood can begain to build up in blood vessels. blocking the blood flow and increasing risk of heart attack.
- Iron in red rice contributes to the production of myoglobin and hemoglobin.Myoglobin and heameglobin deliver oxygen to muscle and tissues keeping ours in high energy level.
- High in fiber helps to reduce risk of cholestrol cancer.
- Red rice is gluton free and wheat free,makes it consume for individuals with celiac disease.
- One serving of red rice contains 200 calories.
- Red rice contains 48 gram of carbohydrates and dietary fiber are 3 gram.
- Rich in dietry fiber also promotes a healthy digestive system and lower risk of heart disease and other obesity related conditions.
- Contains 8% protien in 50grams[recommended].Diets low in fat prevenr–t clogged arteries and aid in weight maintanence.
- Contains iron,manganese,phosporus,molybdinum,magnesium and zinc.
- No calcium and sodium.